.

Homemade Oreo Cookies

Monday, November 18, 2013

Oreos are one of my favorite cookies (and ice cream flavors in case you were wondering) and from the stats they are also considered to be the world's most favorite cookie! But how could anyone blame us? The chocolate cookie and cream is a classic. But as much as I love a classic Oreo, I would have to say the homemade Oreo cookies my mom made growing up are even better.

By now I feel people are well aware of these box mix Oreo cookies, but when I whipped some up last Sunday for some friends I couldn't help but share the recipe here for you all. Just in case by some small crazy chance you hadn't heard of these yet, you can thank me later!

I got this adorable cake stand from Red Envelope! Red Envelope has everything you could imagine, and is a great go to place for gifts! I love how you can personalize anything, like I did with this cake stand. The perfect touch to display your sweets!

I shared this recipe over two years ago on my personal blog and it was funny to see how bad my camera was back then :) ENJOY!

HOMEMADE OREOS

PRINT THIS RECIPE
 
Yields: around 3 dozen
For the cookies:
3 pkgs Duncan Hines Devil’s Food Cake mix
6 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
Mix ingredients in a Bosch or Kitchenaid. You can start mixing it with a blender, but eventually you will have to work the mix together with your hands because the mix gets too heavy for a blender.  Roll into walnut size balls.  Do not press.  Bake at 375 for 10 – 12 mins.
When you take them out of the oven tap pan on the counter, this will flatten the cookies. I hold the pan up a few inches from the counter and drop it. You can do this a few times depending on how flat your want your cookie. 

Put two cookies together with the following:
 
ICING
¼ cup margarine or butter                        
1 – 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
4 cups icing sugar                                     
tsp vanilla
Mix together.  Spread generously.
You can double this icing recipe if you want double stuffed style ;)

TIPS
The icing will be runny at first, if you store in the fridge for a few hours or over night it will firm up and be better for staying in the cookie. Also, if you ice them and let them sit for awhile covered, it will soften the cookie more, making very fluffy and chewable cookies!

3 comments:

  1. Yum Alycia! I haven't made homemade oreos since I was in a home ec class in 8th grade, but now I really want to. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this look delish! I also love the cake stand

    ps. best of lucks on your new blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all loved those growing up :) I love the cake plate!

    ReplyDelete